MRC’s volunteers are passionate and committed people who make invaluable contributions to the work of the organisation.
Our volunteer program offers a wide variety of opportunities across all areas of the organisation. There are many ways to be involved, such as working with individuals and families, group activities and assisting with events.
What can I do as an MRC volunteer?
- Work with people and families as they build a new life in Tasmania
- Help to build confidence and independence
- Assist young people with their studies and help to build confidence in education pathways
- Help people to learn to drive in a safe and legal way
- Assist with social outings, events and activities
- Provide support for project work
- Community Development activities
- And more
Volunteering with the Humanitarian Settlement Program
The Humanitarian Settlement Program (HPS) provides support for families and individuals from a humanitarian background with their settlement needs in Tasmania. MRC will commence providing HSP in Tasmania from 30 October 2017.
Volunteers offer practical guidance and assistance with a variety of everyday activities.
- Accessing and using public transport
- Managing money – paying bills, doing the shopping
- Health and wellbeing – Medicare, accessing medical services
- School and study
- Working and the workplace – job preparation and looking for a job
- Housing and tenancy
- Community participation – e.g.
1. Exploring the local area
2. Finding places such as the local LINC
3. Finding a place of worship
4. Linking with the community and social groups
Volunteers work in close collaboration with HSP Case Workers, Support Workers and Community Guides.
Availability and commitment for HSP Volunteers
We are looking for people who are available during the day and can commit from 2 to 4 hours at a time. The position could be casual (on an as needs basis) or a regular commitment, depending on the requirements of the person/family.
MRC will soon hold information sessions for people interested in HSP volunteering in Hobart and Launceston. To express an interest in volunteering with HSP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 6221 0999.
How to volunteer
To express an interest in volunteering with MRC, please email email@example.com or call 6221 0999. We will invite you to an information session to learn more about MRC and what we do, and volunteering with MRC.
All MRC volunteers must have a current National Police Check and Working with Vulnerable People registration before commencing in a role. We will provide more information on these and how to apply for them at the information session.